[geeks] fastest AMD socket 939 and 940 processors

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Mar 12 08:52:33 CDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:20:36AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>    The Intel choices are so fast & cheap, it's hard to go wrong. You can
>    get a very decent Intel Core 2 Duo CPU w/stock cooler for well under
>    $100 ($80?), quad Core 2 Duos are well under $200 ($180?)

Also look at the high-end "Pentium Dual Core" chips, which are actually
Core 2 Duos (and the VT features disabled, unfortunately - but if you're
not going to run VMWare it doesn't matter).

My gaming box is built around an E5200, Intel DG31PR motherboard, eVGA
GeForce 9500GT video card, and 4G of RAM (IIRC G.Skill because it was cheap
and well-rated).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

Bill

--