[geeks] Impressive...

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 23:21:41 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 10:21 AM, velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM, velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>> I need to educate myself more, obviously.  I didn't realize you could
>>> not grow the pools transparently.
>
> If they had that, can you imagine their market share? Even the new Sun
> FISHworks appliances dont do it.

The latest mdadm versions support growing RAID5 either by adding a
disk or by replacing the existing disks (one at a time and
rebuilding).  I don't know if it will grow a mirror set to a RAID5,
but it will let you start with a 2-disk RAID5 set.  This can all be
done online, too, assuming the filesystem also supports resizing.

--
Dan Duncan