[geeks] Impressive...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Mar 9 12:57:05 CDT 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, velociraptor wrote:

> I need to educate myself more, obviously.  I didn't realize you could
> not grow the pools transparently.

You can, so long as you're not using anything other that mirroring or
striping.  The math to make a parity-based or Reed-Solomon based
redundancy system grow transparently is somewhere between complicated and
impossible.

Now, what you -can- do is create a raidz device and put it in a pool, and
then add a second raidz device later.  This will concatenate the two
pools, leaving each "half" with redundancy.  Your disk usage won't be as
optimal, but it'll let you grow without doing a dump-and-restore.

--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken