[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 09:57:25 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:58 AM,  <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:28:11AM +0000, Michael-John Turner wrote:
>
>> What is the exact problem you experience? I've had some issues with GConf
>> and NFS locking in the past, but don't recall having issues running GNOME
>> on a remote X display (although I haven't done it for some time).
>
> It's strictly keyboard translation. Using it out of the box, as it were,
> I get total garbage anywhere I type, except at the login box.
> The fix suggested in one post was to use do an xmodmap and use that map in
> my .xsession file. It gave me the letters, but the shift and control
> keys did not work. :-(

international support is lacking, that's a fact. I get problems if I
dont login as english utf-8 most on everything. Solaris 10 u6 to
solaris 10 u6 with different locale works, but then you might have
issues with applications that dont figure what is what properly, like
Oracle SQL developer. Also, if I login with french or spanish and
copy/paste between remote and local, I get garbage on all the accented
letters (except I think the "e acute").

Same thing connecting to a windows server with rdesktop. However Sun
does the right thing with it's own RDP client for SRSS (uttsc), as
long as I dont use rdesktop at all. The moment I use rdesktop I have
to restart my windows session, else it is messed up.

> It fails with both an XDMCP session started via GDM on both Macos 10.4
> on a G4 and 10.5 on an Intel. It also fails using VNC on both and a Windows
> XP computer.
> Trying it now with Cygwin X windows, it also does not work. Typing an a
> gives me nothing, and some of the letters give me different ones.

That part is not related to that though. I have no problem with XDCMP
or VNC, only remote X (and rdesktop with running remote windows apps).