[geeks] Remote GNOME via Cygwin/X

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 09:16:43 CDT 2009

Is it possible to start a full-blown GNOME X desktop on a remote PC over
SSH? I have a remote machine running OSol 2008.11 and want to work
graphically via Cygwin/X at least to start with.

I can start individual apps via an xterm to the remote machine using the
usual methond:

ssh -Y -l <user> <host_ip>

Then running the app from the remote command line.

Can I start something to log into a GNOME session from the same command
line? I have been trawling results on Google for an hour and they all
describe something sort of like what I want to do but not, I can't find
the bit of info I need (how many times do you find that with OSS Stuff??)!

--

Mark Benson
http://markbenson.org/blog