[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Mar 9 03:47:50 CDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 02:53:15PM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
> You're being self-contradictory.  If you liked your previous version of
> Linux so well and were happy with it, why switch to *buntu and then
> claim that the server tools don't work and it can only be "easily"
> administered with the GUI?  That's damning with faint praise.

How? After a while having a system with a 2.4 Kernel, a very old
gcc, glibc, etc no support anywhere get boring. Eventually you have to move
on or lose the ability to keep relatively current.

> I didn't say buy a new computer, I said no specialized hardware was
> necessary.  I know plenty of people who have installed Solaris on low-
> end laptops.  Did you even bother to try it or look in the HCL?

YES. To be exact it's a 1gHz AMD Duron, maxed out at 512m RAM with 2
40g, (now upgraded to 2x60g) hard drives. I'm sure I could get Solaris
to boot on it, but not run very well,

To be blunt, I had a similarly configured hand held device in 2004.

> You are making a lot of assumptions about my situation.  Pillorying me
> because I know how to sell my skill set and get a job, even in a
> declining economy, doesn't paint a very nice picture of your attitude.

I wasn't saying anything negative about your work, or your ability to get
work. What I was saying is that given your history, you should have some
compassion, or at least understanding, that not everyone is able to buy
hardware, but I was wrong.

I also remember the circumstances of your getting that job, as do many
of the people on the list and they were not as nice as you say they were.
I was going to detail them, but they are irrelevant. Suffice it to say
that as I remember them they shoot your argument to hell, and that you
would be well advised not to lord over people who are disabled or out of
work with your superior skills or self marketing ability, lest next time
you need them, people remember.

Geoff.