[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 10:38:42 CDT 2009

(Lionel said:)
>> SPARC desktops have small memory capacities, based on current
>> standards.
>
> ...which says more about current standards than it does about SPARC
> desktops.  They still do everything they ever did, after all.

Agreed, the person posting the query was looking for guidance on SPARC
hardware, I assume they have some background in other platforms, and I
was setting expectations about memory capacity in these 'mature'
systems.

I could happily "kick it old skool" with an SS5/170, but I'd have
limits on what I could do, compared with an x86 box running either
Solaris or OpenSolaris. As I see it, unless you need the SPARC
instruction set (and the OP wanted it), a $200 PC[0] can likely best a
free Ultra 60 loaded with RAM, Dual CPUs and fast SCSI HDs for normal
desktop usage of current software, and if you have to pay for power
and AC/cooling, it won't take too long for the $200 PC to have a lower
total cost of operation.

Of course, definitions of "normal desktop usage" varies - I mean non-
technical, home usage, with trivial game playing.

Lionel

[0] a dual core Intel CPU/MB, 2 Gigs of RAM, integrated graphics, SATA
hd, gigabit NIC can easily be cobbled together for $200, $299 if you
want Dell to make it and toss in Vista OS.