[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Mar 8 22:47:37 CDT 2009

On Mar 8, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Francois Dion wrote:
>> quiet so most servers don't qualify.
>
> You didn't say what you needed it for, but it more than likely doesn't
> have to be under your desk. Put a sun blade 2000 in your garage or
> elsewhere where the noise doesn't bother anyone and run SRSS. Put a
> sunray (or three) on your desk and enjoy complete silence. The setup
> on my desk is a 1G with a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 and a 170 (sunray
> embedded in a 17" monitor), combined as 1 unit, controlled by one
> smartcard and 1 keyboard/mouse. There is a limitation: the higher
> resolution device has to be master.

I've got to finish setting up my SunRays.

>> What is a good graphics card?
>
> XVR-500 or XVR-600 in PCI, XVR-1000 for a machine with UPA.

FWIW, I also thought that Creator3D and Extreme3D were acceptable for
general use.  I haven't had the chance to try a XVR-100, but any
lower end card is absolutely terrible.  Yes PGX24, my eyes are
shooting daggers at you.

I only mention the older cards because they are more common and
cheaper and may be better for a cheap starter.