[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 14:19:25 CDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 3:25 PM, hike <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is a good Sparc-powered workstation?

A sunray.

:)

> I would like suggestions on which one/s are more usable and dependable.
 ATA
> or SCSI is acceptable.  It has to fit under my desk (at home) and be
> relatively quiet so most servers don't qualify.

You didn't say what you needed it for, but it more than likely doesn't
have to be under your desk. Put a sun blade 2000 in your garage or
elsewhere where the noise doesn't bother anyone and run SRSS. Put a
sunray (or three) on your desk and enjoy complete silence. The setup
on my desk is a 1G with a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 and a 170 (sunray
embedded in a 17" monitor), combined as 1 unit, controlled by one
smartcard and 1 keyboard/mouse. There is a limitation: the higher
resolution device has to be master.

Or, you could send KVM over cat 5.

> What is a good graphics card?

XVR-500 or XVR-600 in PCI, XVR-1000 for a machine with UPA.