[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 8 15:29:19 CDT 2009

   Mar 8, 2009 02:17:30 PM, geeks at sunhelp.org wrote:
   >>On Mar 8, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
   >>
   >> Yes, everything that needs to be done on a server can be done via
   >> serial console/terminal session, but it can be a lot of typing, and
   >> since GUI tools exist (and act sanely), why ignore them just to
   >> prove something can be done via command line.
   > If you cannot administer it over a serial console, it's not a
   server.
   > Anyone who does 100% percent remote administration is going to say
   the
   > same thing.
   Just be because a thing can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.
   ;^) [0]
   We're not defining what is or is not a server, we are discussing how a
   person chooses to manage a server.
   If the GUI tools took an un-godly amount of time to load, or failed to
   function properly, the command line is there to allow him to do what
   he wants in an efficient manner, but if the GUI suits his needs,
   functions correctly, and is arguably as fast as issuing the commands
   directly, why not? On a single, standalone server, using GUI admin
   tools is a very viable alternative - that it doesn't map to hundreds
   of servers is immaterial to a man with only one.
   Lionel
   [0] OK, that quote is from Chris Rock (talking about mothers raising
   children without a father/man), but I thought it applied. Link to MP3
   of routine http://www.glennsacks.com/cr_enews091205.mp3