[geeks] Impressive...

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Fri Mar 6 03:59:25 CST 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 06:47:09PM -0500, Nate wrote:
> Keep in mind that a lot of the SuperMicro hot swap bays are designed for
> SuperMicro cases - that is, they have smooth sides, and can't cope with
> cases that have the small metal tabs between 5.25" bays.
>
> So if you don't have a SuperMicro case, I recommend looking at the SATA
> hot swap products from companies like Icy Dock (or just examine the
> SuperMicro hot-swap device you're considering very carefully).

This touched on a nerve with me. A few months ago I got a very good deal on
a Dell T105 with a quad core Opteron and bought an Icy Dock hot-swap device
to use with it (it allows me to install three 3.5" drives in the two 5.25"
bays). Annoyingly, the Dell had all sorts of metal tabs and bumps in its
drive bays, requiring me to spend a few hours with a Dremel doing some
surgery on it to get the Icy Dock to fit.

Can recommend Icy Dock products though - a little pricey, but the one I
have seems pretty solidly made.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner