[geeks] in which Windows shoots itself in the foot (again)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 18:22:02 CST 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 2:42 PM, adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)
wrote:

> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
> "
> " On Mar 5, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
> " wrote:
> "
> " > OK ...  we were recently given a Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop.  It
> has a
> " > built-in wired Ethernet interface (a 3C920) and an 11b PCMCIA
> wireless
> " > interface (an Orinoco WaveLAN Silver).  I had hell's own game
> getting
> " > networking to work correctly on it ... until I thought to look
> at the
> " > routing tables.
> " >
> " > []
> " >
> " > Does anyone know a Secret Win2K Admin Trick to either
> automatically
> " > delete those two routes as soon as they're created, or better yet,
> " > stop
> " > Windows from ever creating them in the first place?
> "
> " Upgrade to XP Pro?
>
> i believe one can find winflp on bittorrent...

If one chooses to forgo a legal license, yes. WinFLP is an option, but
it is only available for clients covered under a software assurance
(or similar) contract, IIRC.

I tried it, but it didn't seem that different, just a bit more minimal.

It could breathe some life into older hardware I suppose...

Lionel