[geeks] in which Windows shoots itself in the foot (again)

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Mar 5 16:22:23 CST 2009

gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 04:14:51PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Huh.  Thanks for the info.
>>
>> I have an 11g WG511 card here as well, that I'd sooner use, but I think
>> it may have a problem.  Win2K refuses to use it.
>
> There are two incompatible cards that look exactly the same, except that
> one is a WG511v1 and the other is a WG511v2. You must have the correct
> drivers or it won't work at all.
>
> This is from:
>
> 	http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG511.asp
>
> Also it is a carbus card (32 bit 3.3 volt), is the slot PCMCIA or Cardbus.
> AFAIK a CARDBUS card won't go all the way into a PCMCIA slot, but one or
> the other could be damaged.

It's a v1.  The slots are CardBus; I don't know whether Windows got the
correct driver or not, but my recollection is it did.  I'll have to
check and make sure.  The beginning Gentoo install on the laptop
couldn't locate the correct firmware for it but appeared to detect it
correctly (prism54pci chipset).

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.