[geeks] in which Windows shoots itself in the foot (again)

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Mar 5 15:31:56 CST 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 04:14:51PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>Huh.  Thanks for the info.
>
>I have an 11g WG511 card here as well, that I'd sooner use, but I think
>it may have a problem.  Win2K refuses to use it.

There are two incompatible cards that look exactly the same, except that
one is a WG511v1 and the other is a WG511v2. You must have the correct
drivers or it won't work at all.

This is from:

	http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG511.asp

Also it is a carbus card (32 bit 3.3 volt), is the slot PCMCIA or Cardbus.
AFAIK a CARDBUS card won't go all the way into a PCMCIA slot, but one or
the other could be damaged.

Geoff.