[geeks] OpenSolaris ready for Production?

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at telenet.be
Wed Mar 4 02:42:38 CST 2009

Mark Benson wrote:
> I just wondered if anyone here had any passing opinions as to wether
> OpenSolaris was mature enough or ready in any way for a use on a
> Production server? I'd say no, I mean it's barely a year old in it's
> official form, and it's not intended for production, but on the
> flipside it's Solaris, can it really be that bad?
>
> I was just musing as it's a bit less scary to work with than Solaris
> 10 and has slightly better and broader hardware support.

I use OpenSolaris rev 0.85  on a older E4000 production system that does
nameserving, mail & data storage, backup ...etc. the only drawback is
that when you want to update the system you have to reinstall the system
...this was fixed in rev 0.95 so this issue should be out of the way by
now. havent tried any newer builds yet waiting for the OpenSolaris
2008.11  sparc  release to  be out.

Michael