[geeks] OpenSolaris ready for Production?

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:49:12 CST 2009

> I just wondered if anyone here had any passing opinions as to wether
> OpenSolaris was mature enough or ready in any way for a use on a
> Production server? I'd say no, I mean it's barely a year old in it's
> official form, and it's not intended for production, but on the
> flipside it's Solaris, can it really be that bad?

Wikipedia says that it is stabile. ;-)

I just installed the OpenSolaris Live CD on a Radisys MPCBL0040 quad
Xeon ATCA blade. I had a small refresh rate problem with the SBS VGA
AMC module, but it came right up. I will do this install on 7 more of
the ATCA same blades and make a cluster with 32 Xeons.

I also have two CP3010 dual UltraSPARC IIIi ATCA blades to put in the
same chassis. The Live CD is only for x86 architecture blades so I
will install build 98 and upgrade it.

That still leaves two empty slots in the ATCA chassis. Google CT900
for a similar chassis. This system will get used as a video server in
a show booth.