[geeks] OpenSolaris ready for Production?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 02:11:06 CST 2009

On 4 Mar 2009, at 01:14, Mike Meredith wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 01:00:51 +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>> Yeh, like I'd use Oracle anyway ;) I'd rather boil my feet!
>
> Sometimes you don't get much of a choice :(

I guess not. I aspire never to work in a company large enough to
afford or require Oracle anyway ;)

>>> BTW: The Blastwave IPS repository is a little rocky for now.
>>
>> Does OpenSolaris use that or is it an add-on repo?
>
> It's an add on repository. I've been using Blastwave long enough that
> not using it would be a little odd. I suspect that the old way of
> using
> Blastwave would work fine (or at least better), but the IPS packages
> need a few fixes. Or at least the ones I've messed with (exim, clamav,
> spamassassin) do.

Hmmm... it's early days I suppose. That's one of the things that makes
me a little nervous about OpenSolaris, it does a whole lot of new
things Sun haven't done before, and these things take time to settle.
I'll see how it goes in testing.

Do I take it that, when all else fails, pkgs and pkgadd still work?

>> Graphically and organizationally the GNOME implementation is a lot
>
> GNOME? You mean this 'ere OpenSolaris server is wasting resources
> running a GUI ? Bugger me that's something to fix :)

Yeh, and our work machine will have to so normal mortals can interact
with it without having to go near that nasty command line (hich is
actually easier to use than half the stuff in GNOME). I can't help
it ;). I don't think it'll exactly put much strain on a 8-core IBM
x3400 though ;)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: