[geeks] OpenSolaris ready for Production?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Mar 3 19:14:45 CST 2009

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 01:00:51 +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> Yeh, like I'd use Oracle anyway ;) I'd rather boil my feet!

Sometimes you don't get much of a choice :(

> > BTW: The Blastwave IPS repository is a little rocky for now.
>
> Does OpenSolaris use that or is it an add-on repo?

It's an add on repository. I've been using Blastwave long enough that
not using it would be a little odd. I suspect that the old way of using
Blastwave would work fine (or at least better), but the IPS packages
need a few fixes. Or at least the ones I've messed with (exim, clamav,
spamassassin) do.

> Graphically and organizationally the GNOME implementation is a lot

GNOME? You mean this 'ere OpenSolaris server is wasting resources
running a GUI ? Bugger me that's something to fix :)

(the sigmonster is cooperating tonight)

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 A graphical interface lets any fool run a server. But do you want a