[geeks] OpenSolaris ready for Production?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Mar 3 17:10:46 CST 2009

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:38:53 +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> I just wondered if anyone here had any passing opinions as to wether
> OpenSolaris was mature enough or ready in any way for a use on a
> Production server? I'd say no, I mean it's barely a year old in it's

I'm in the middle of turning my old desktop into an OpenSolaris server
to replace my ancient U60. So I'm betting that it's ready for
production use :)

Of course it does depend on what you mean by "production". I wouldn't
choose to run a bank on an OpenSolaris server, and I dare say Oracle
would immediately close support calls mentioning OpenSolaris. But for a
smaller server running stuff you won't get fired for if it breaks ?
Sure.

And show us your battle scars afterwards :)

BTW: The Blastwave IPS repository is a little rocky for now.

> official form, and it's not intended for production, but on the
> flipside it's Solaris, can it really be that bad?

That's the key. It's just Solaris that's been fiddled with. There's a
few people wandering around who seem to think that OpenSolaris is
something new and completely different from Solaris. As long as you
ignore the license and the fact that a few people other than Sun
engineers have been doing stuff, is it really any different to what
Solaris 11 could/would/will be ?

> I was just musing as it's a bit less scary to work with than Solaris
> 10 and has slightly better and broader hardware support.

I'm not sure why Solaris 10 is scarier than OpenSolaris; after all you
can simply install bash, do something like "/bin/bash -c true &&
exec /bin/bash" in root's .profile, and a few other things and it won't
seem much different.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  One test is worth a thousand opinions.