[geeks] Compilers - safe on servers?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 08:07:59 CST 2009

I am in the process of evaluating Solaris 10 as a feasible server OS for
our new production machine. Howerver, I've hit on a snag.

I can get SAMP, Ruby, gem and Rails via Coolstack and that all works
swimmingly.

My problem is 'Passenger' (which is a Ruby Gem for using Rails apps
through Apache2) requires gcc to compile a native portion of the gem.
gcc isn't, of course, included on Solaris 10, you have to install Sun's
dev tools (Sun Studio 11, right?)

The problem with *that* is I was always lead to believe this was a bad
idea on production servers because in the even of a security breach the
gcc compiler could be used to compile malicious code.

Any pointers? I had to use similar techniques to get stuff to work when
I was assessing Ububtu server too. If there is a securiy risk it's not
going to easy my mind any...

--

Mark Benson
http://markbenson.org/blog