[geeks] Getting into a headless eMac

John Francini francini at mac.com
Tue Jun 30 06:30:27 CDT 2009

No, it it most assuredly NOT UNTRUE.  As it ships from Apple, the eMac
does NOT *support* any other form of video out other than screen
mirroring.

Just because some hacker can fiddle with Open Firmware and make the
thing do something that Apple chose not to provide -- possibly for
technical reasons, possibly for marketing reasons --  doesn't make the
statement any less true.

I wrote: "I believe that all eMacs could do was mirror the desktop".
And that's true.  OUT OF THE BOX.  Which is all I care about.

Latent capabilities of the hardware are completely and utterly
irrelevant to the discussion. The likelihood of coming across a Mac
that has been hacked this way is very low.  So, for most situations
(probably 99.999% of them) the statement is still true. Most Apple
products are *not* used by people who read this list or have the
equivalent technical savvy; they're owned by people who use their Macs
as a tool to get their {job, vocation, hobby, life} done. And any Mac
coming *into* the hands of a Geeks list reader is likely to have come
from

So would you rather have me saying this:

"eMacs do monitor mirroring *only* out of the box. In the (rather
unlikely) event that the previous owner hacked OpenFirmware to allow
spreading the Desktop across two monitors, be sure to zap the PRAM by
holding down the Command-Option-P-R keys while starting the eMac until
it chimes 3 times. This will clear out any non-factory settings in
Open Firmware".

rather than "I believe that all eMacs could do was mirror the desktop"?

The former is technically correct, but is long-winded and contains:
technojargon; a caveat; and a potential "rain dance" action that is
only of interest to a portion of this list's readership.  It's a
statement I might hear from someone who is obsessively compulsive
about technical accuracy over readability. Besides, the short
statement is an accurate summary of Apple's documentation, technical
capabilities notwithstanding.

I have a side business outside my day job of providing Mac support.
One of them has eMacs. I know very well I could, through hacks and
tweaks, make their Macs do lots of potentially cool things -- things
that maybe one of them would actually find useful in his day-to-day
activities. But then I'd have to *support* those hacks and tweaks.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I view support as an attempt to turn myself into the Maytag Repair
Man: collecting dust and cobwebs unless a serious problem crops up,
the client has usage questions, or the client wants to upgrade. One
way to help myself in that direction is to stick to Apple's
recommendations and supported configurations. Unsupported hackery is
just that: *unsupported*.  It's like making (and watching) an elephant
dance. You marvel that the elephant can do it, but it's not something
you want to have it do every day.

It would have been better if Apple had put a block into the firmware
to prevent this particular latent hardware capability from being used.
Then we wouldn't be having this pointless discussion over semantics
and being obsessively-compulsive about largely irrelevant facts.