[geeks] 20 year old floppies...

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Sat Jun 27 21:50:12 CDT 2009

All,

I broke out my stack of 44 1.44" floppies for SCO OpenDesktop 3.0 to see if
I could image them. 4 floppies in and I'm batting .500; two are complaining
of bad sectors. The sectors they are complaining about are the last sectors
on the disk, essentially empty space, so I'm not too worried. I am worried
I'm wasting time, here. These are the ones in good condition. There are two
floppies that were "flooded" and I still need to figure out the right way to
clean off the dirt that was left when the water evaporated off of them.

Yes, SCO ODT 3.0 was circa 1994, but the floppies were used at least once
before and some have dates of 1989 and 1991 on them. :( Windd is working
nicely with a USB floppy drive under Windows 7 RC 1.

If this all works I'll make a VMWare Appliance out of it for those who are
interested. FWIW, the license key I have does NOT include the C compiler.

-Jon