[geeks] Photo Geotagging

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Mon Jun 22 11:51:21 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:41 PM, <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:

> What bothers me is that a almost 50 years later, nothing has changed as
> far as TV is concerned. There are more channels, but the digital TV signal
> is

True, but we do have better audio, increased resolution, and far more
information provided by the same media. Look at the difference between the
ICs and FPGAs in use in TVs now compared with the vacuum tubes of 50+ years
ago. As another analog, look at the concept of the telephone & telegraph
cable. Over 100 years old, and now we can multiplex digital signals on the
same two wires that just were "beep" and "no beep" a few decades earlier.

> Meanwhile, in 1969 we went to the moon, now we could not do it. It is very
> likely that NASA will be "unfunded" by end of next year.

We're (the USA anyway) is going back to the moon in the next few months with
some interesting unmanned probes. The kinds of information we're getting and
planning on extracting will arguably have volumes more info than what was
retreived on a single Apollo mission. See http://lcross.arc.nasa.gov/ for
details.