[geeks] Photo Geotagging

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jun 22 11:41:21 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:32:18PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:

>maybe we're starting to appreciate how our [grand]parents felt about
>color tv...

What bothers me is that a almost 50 years later, nothing has changed as
far as TV is concerned. There are more channels, but the digital TV signal is
just a digital representation of the same information as a late 1950's
Black and White compatible Color TV signal. A high resolution black and
white picture, low resolution color information, and sound. The only thing
that was dropped was a synchronization pulse which is not needed in a digital
stream.

What was left out of the analog TV signals and is sorely needed in the digital
ones is a method of synchronizing sound and video.

Meanwhile, in 1969 we went to the moon, now we could not do it. It is very
likely that NASA will be "unfunded" by end of next year.

It's actually relevant to the GPS discussion because I have read acticles about
the lack of replacement GPS satellites for the ones that are about to run out
of fuel and "reenter".

Geoff.