[geeks] Apache

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jun 17 10:18:56 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:01:25AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>A quick Apache question, just in case anyone's ever had to figure this
>one out:
>
>Apache has no problem putting multiple HTTP named virtual hosts on a
>single IP.  But it objects to having HTTPS named virtual hosts.
>
>Now, suppose you have only a single external IP address available.  And
>you need - or at  least want - to have two HTTPS virtual hosts behind
>that IP.  Does anyone know how to do this without Apache complaining
>about it?
>
>I don't actually *NEED* SSL for what I'm doing right now.  But I'd like
>to figure out whether there's a way to make it work properly.

If you have to live with it, can you just redirect?

for example: http://fred.flintsone.com redirects to
		https://secure.bedrock.com/fred/

and  http://barney/rubble.com redirects to
		https://secure.bedrock.com/barney/

all being the same real host.

The problem that I can forsee is that what does the certificate have for a host
name.

Maybe it would be better:

		http://fred.flintsone.com redirects to
                 https://secure.flinstone.com:4443/

		http://barney/rubble.com redirects to
                 https://secure.rubble.com:4444/

being two seperate apache servers on the same host.

Geoff.