[geeks] While I'm at it, another Ubunut grouse

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jun 10 11:59:16 CDT 2009

Jochen Kunz wrote:
> Ubuntu is maybe the worst. I had to fsck(8) the Ubuntu instalation of a
> workmate. He misconfigured NIS and thus disabled his local account. I
> tried a root-login on the local text console, but _all_ root logins are
> disabled.

That's the _very first thing_ I fix on any *Ubuntu install - enable root
logins, both locally and via ssh.

> Ubuntu expects you to use sudo(8), but with no valid local
> user account there is no chance to get into the machine. I had to
> powercycle the machine hard and use the "init=/bin/bash" trick...
> Ubuntu suffers from major brain damage.

Another user I know has claimed that Ubuntu installs he's done have
disabled virtual-console switching, but I haven't found any problem
switching between VCs on any of my installs.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.