[geeks] While I'm at it, another Ubunut grouse

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jun 10 11:40:07 CDT 2009

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 08:02:24 -0400
Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:

> I'm very unimpressed with Ubuntu in all of its variations.  Even the
> "lightweight" xubuntu still has most of Gnome running, and even still
> uses gdm instead of, say, xdm.
[...]
> To me, Ubuntu is Debian Linux dumbed-down and crippled to look and act
> as much like Windows as possible.
My words. Linux evolved from a free Unix for Unix enthusiasts to a bad
Windows surrogate for lusers. I turned away from Linux in disgust over 10
years ago. I went to NetBSD, the most sane implementation of The Unix Paradigm
(C) (R) (TM) I know.

I think this was already mentioned on this list some time ago?
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Ubuntu is maybe the worst. I had to fsck(8) the Ubuntu instalation of a
workmate. He misconfigured NIS and thus disabled his local account. I
tried a root-login on the local text console, but _all_ root logins are
disabled. Ubuntu expects you to use sudo(8), but with no valid local
user account there is no chance to get into the machine. I had to
powercycle the machine hard and use the "init=/bin/bash" trick...
Ubuntu suffers from major brain damage.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen