[geeks] OS X - SSHFS (was Re: AFP tips requested)

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 16:29:00 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Phil Stracchino<alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
> I have, as previously discussed, a Solaris 10 box which is our primary
> NAS box.  My wife just got given a "windtunnel" dual-G4 Power Mac, now
> running leopard (10.5.7 specifically).  Obviously, she'd like to be able
> to access the server.
>
> I seem to recall from prior discussions that getting nfs to work on an
> OSX client is ... challenging.  So, I've installed netatalk on the server.

Off topic but I've had some luck using sshfs to get my OS X client to
mount Solaris and Linux hosts.

sshfs for Mac OS X - http://www.pqrs.org/tekezo/macosx/sshfs/

mount_sshfs login at host ~/sshfs/solaris

And presto

 % df -k
Filesystem                   1K-blocks       Used      Avail Capacity
Mounted on
(snip)
login at host 1073741824         0 1073741824     0%
/Users/briandunbar/sshfs/solaris

I have not tested it but accessing files on the mount is easy-peasy.

--
Brian Dunbar
Geidus

"Display some adaptability"