[geeks] AFP tips requested

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Jun 9 16:14:24 CDT 2009

> (The server already shares the big share over both NFS and SMB/CIFS.)

Hmm, you sure you need AFP?  SMB/CIFS should work fine from an OS X client
as long as you don't need to store forked files (less common these days)
or extended attributes.

About five years ago I ran netatalk on netbsd, but for the last few years
I just use the netatalk that comes preinstalled and preconfigured with the
Synology NAS I use at home, so I can't really help you there, other than
to say I don't know of any free solutions other than netatalk for AFP (and
that if you run AFP over TCP/IP it should work fine, you might just have
to point the client directly at the server if the server isn't
broadcasting it's presence through associated protocols).

- Nate