[geeks] AFP tips requested

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jun 9 15:30:19 CDT 2009

gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> I am accessing a Linux box, and I assume it uses AFP, but I had to recompile
> netatalk with support for secure connections to get it to work.

Yeah, I compiled in SSL support, but I'm unable to connect to the server
from the finder.  (Or is there a chooser-equivalent I need to use?)

> NFS is well supported under Leopard, but it seems next to impossible get
> it to work. :-(
>
> SMB/CIFS works like a charm. If you need to access files that can be read
> pre-OSX, then you need to use an AFP server, if you don't then SMB should be
> fine.
>
> Note that I use it for read only access to data files, not programs, nor do I
> write on the SMB shares from OSX.

OK ...  what, if any, magic needs to happen on the OSX side to connect
to an SMB share?  The Finder appears to *see* all the SMB-serving
machines on the network, but she's unable to actually connect to any.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.