[geeks] While I'm at it, another Ubunut grouse

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jun 9 07:02:24 CDT 2009

gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> It simply won't work properly if you try to make an XDMCP connection
> from MacOS 10.5.7 and use GNOME. The keyboard is all messed up and none of
> the known workarounds fix it.
>
> It works fine with the other window managers and the VNC hack still works.

I'm very unimpressed with Ubuntu in all of its variations.  Even the
"lightweight" xubuntu still has most of Gnome running, and even still
uses gdm instead of, say, xdm.

(Allow me to comment at this point on the utter STUPIDITY of building a
Unixlike OS with a network connection management tool - NetworkManager -
that to the best of my knowledge will only work from a GUI login
session.  WTF were the Gnome people thinking?  I'd almost be tempted to
speculate that key Gnome developers are deep-cover Microsoft moles
tasked to sabotage Linux from the inside.)

To me, Ubuntu is Debian Linux dumbed-down and crippled to look and act
as much like Windows as possible.  Yeah, sure, it's accessible to the
masses ... but it seems like its lesson to the masses is that Linux
really has nothing to offer over Windows except for being free.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.