[geeks] IBM RAID Controller and Linux

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 04:56:44 CDT 2009

I ran across an issue when looking at IBM servers. The x3500 M2 we are
looking at uses a PCI-e RAID controller for the SAS bay at the front
and I'm getting cold feet as to whether the RAID controller is
supported in Ubuntu Server.

>From what I can tell the IBM Card is a ServeRAID MR10i. This, from the
IBM Manual is a rebadged LSI Logic MegaRAID 8708E (or may be ELP?)
card. It's 8-port and half-length. IBM's install guide for the card
(one variation at least) is here:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x_pdf/ibm_doc_sraidmr_10i-10.20_install-guide.pdf

That guid also mentiones the card is '1078-based' which refers to an
LSI Logic RAID-on-chip controller which I presume is the lump under
the black heat-sink.

I don't know if any IBM-philes here know any more about the card and
what OSs have support for it? I have googled my fingers off and
haven't turned up anything so far. I'll keep looking but I just wanted
t ochuck the question out there as I know tere are some folk here who
know IBM stuff backwards and upside down.

Many Thanks...

--

Mark