[geeks] Refurbished PC Components

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Jun 4 13:57:15 CDT 2009

Jon Gilbert wrote:
> My boss is having me put together some mobo/CPU combos for upgrading
> some photo kiosks. He wants me to use refurbished components from
> Evertek.com. Given that these machines see extremely heavy usage and
> the reliability of them is fairly critical, is it really a good idea
> to go with 90-day-warranty refurbs? I don't even understand how a CPU
> can be refurbed. This just seems like a good way to make crash-prone,
> unreliable computers. Am I just being paranoid?

You're not, IMHO, being paranoid.  I cannot understand what makes people
think it's a good idea to intentionally put refurbished hardware into
customer-facing production in a corporate environment unless you just
don't care if it fails.  You have good confidence that it's already
failed AT LEAST once, and you don't know whether the root cause of the
failure, or all the damage it did, was properly repaired or even identified.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.