[geeks] q: good source for leather book bag?

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 20:04:10 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>wrote:

> gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 10:44:24AM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> >> My need is basically pens, some notebooks, laptop, cell phone, a few
> >> patch cables and keys, and it has to look good, thus the choice of
> >> leather (I am otherwise pretty informal; but when you are trying to get
> >> new clients in a time of economic uncertainty it makes sense to look
> >> presentable).
> >
> > It depends upon the look you want. If you are going for the "I'm a suit
> > like
> > you IT consultant who will wow the investors, but leave the company in
> > the crapper", go for it.
> > If you are looking for the "I'm the geek that you all will hate, but will
> > save your ass" look, try something more like a backpack.
> > :-)
> >

> That's pretty funny!
>
> I am trying to toe a middle line of "this guy is sort of like us, but
> nerdier" ...
>
> On the one hand, I don't want to trigger the "Youtube video of Stallman
> taking off his shoes and doing something (???) with his foot" ; on the
> other hand I don't want to trigger the "his customers are the ones
> paying for his fancy stuff" vibe ...
>
> Thankfully Lancaster County is pretty conservative, so it is almost
> impossible to be too old-school about things unless I show up in a
> cooper's apron after getting out of my horse-drawn haywagon.
>
> --Patrick

get the dr. koffer
grips are good and durable but look like a salesman, a detail man
the dr. koffer looks better
solo has similar bags
engineers also carry this style

if you can see the bag before you buy it, look at it

levenger.com carries nice leather bags
tumi bags are very nice
i buy my bags locally at mori luggage--somebody makes their bags and they
are nice

i stopped at the leather outlet town in ecuador and picked up a napa/soft
leather, small, rucksack/backpack that is absolutely gorgeous.
the whole town smelled like leather and there was all kinds of stuff

leather is good