[geeks] HP Mini 2133 OS Options

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Jan 23 01:07:35 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:56:46AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Mark Benson wrote:
>
>>I was thinking Ubuntu, 8.04.2 or 8.10. Anyone know which is faster on
>>low spec hardware?
>
>IIRC, they ship with some sort of Ubuntu madness.  I use BSD, myself, but
>I don't recall what wireless card is in there, so there may or may-not be
>support for that.
>
>>I could easily Dual-Boot in that space, so what Windows would work best?
>>I'd guess XP?
>
>XP should work well on it.  The base OS has enough smarts about VIA
>hardware to load off the retail/VLK CD, but you'll want the latest driver
>kit on there.  I believe HP ships that particular model with Vista, which
>doesn't work very well.

I have an MSI Wind U100, with the Atom CPU, 1g ram and 160g HD and 6 cell
battery. I run XP, OSX Leopard and could if I wanted to run Ubuntu 8.10.
Everything is supported on all 3, but Ubuntu 8.10 does not support the WiFi
card unless you install it as opposed running it live from a memory stick.

Since I bought mine less than a month ago, they went up in price 50 NIS
($13) but now come with 2g RAM. :-( I paid 2300 NIS or about $575 including
Israeli VAT. What's that in Sterling, around 325 qid?

I'm extremely happy with mine.

Geoff.