[geeks] HP Mini 2133 OS Options

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jan 23 00:56:46 CST 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Mark Benson wrote:

> I was thinking Ubuntu, 8.04.2 or 8.10. Anyone know which is faster on
> low spec hardware?

IIRC, they ship with some sort of Ubuntu madness.  I use BSD, myself, but
I don't recall what wireless card is in there, so there may or may-not be
support for that.

> I could easily Dual-Boot in that space, so what Windows would work best?
> I'd guess XP?

XP should work well on it.  The base OS has enough smarts about VIA
hardware to load off the retail/VLK CD, but you'll want the latest driver
kit on there.  I believe HP ships that particular model with Vista, which
doesn't work very well.

> I have seen OSX86 running on one on da 'Tube, but there were very few
> details. Anyone got the skinny on this?

I'm interested in finding out about this, too.  I'd love a tiny system
running OSX for writing code on airplanes and such.  I suspect BSD would
work well for that, too, though.

On the other hand, if I get around to borrowing one from $ork, I'll try to
hackintosh it and let folks know how it goes.

> I'm kinda of excited to get it, it looks like a really nicely made
> piece, looks a lot nicer than that horrid plasticness of the EEE PC and
> Acer One.

Yes, it's a nice metal case.  One word of warning, though: don't turn the
volume up all the way; some revisions of the notebook have a buggy preamp
that gets -hot- when turned all the way up.

--
Jonathan Patschke ( "I'll be long gone before some smart person ever
Elgin, TX         (  figures out what happened inside this Oval Office."