[geeks] Unsecured Wifi connections now illegal in part of India.

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Thu Jan 15 05:34:57 CST 2009

Mike Meredith said ...

> Actually I think it is already happening. The last wireless router I
> bought came with some security turned on, and I believe my sister's
> router came from the ISP with security turned on.

The DSL boxes handed out by the major providers here in France all seem to
come with WEP (at least) turned on.

> Certainly whilst I can get upwards of a twenty or so wireless networks
> in my flat, none are open. Most "open" networks I've encountered for
> the last couple of years have been private internets, or intentionally
> open with some other form of security (typically a web-based login).

Same here.  We can see 4 or 5 "secured" networks from our house, and no open
ones.

I rather preferred the old Internet, actually, back when security, spam, and
other bad stuff just wasn't a problem.

-Shel