[geeks] Unsecured Wifi connections now illegal in part of India.

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Thu Jan 15 02:11:50 CST 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:31:48 -0500 (EST), nate at portents.com wrote:
> Another approach that I wish the industry had taken a long time ago
> with wireless access points would be to ship them with the highest
> wireless security fully enabled out of the box - WPA/WEP, MAC address
> filtering, and non-broadcast SSID.  Then, if a user wants to turn off

But that makes it harder for the user!

Actually I think it is already happening. The last wireless router I
bought came with some security turned on, and I believe my sister's
router came from the ISP with security turned on.

Certainly whilst I can get upwards of a twenty or so wireless networks
in my flat, none are open. Most "open" networks I've encountered for
the last couple of years have been private internets, or intentionally
open with some other form of security (typically a web-based login).

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  So I think I'm becoming a geek vampire. Damn. Hate when that happens.