[geeks] Unsecured Wifi connections now illegal in part of India.

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Jan 13 20:25:56 CST 2009

>> I know of someone who's mooching off a neighbour's "secure" wifi
>> right now - and this guy, while good enough with computers to be
>> making a living at them, is by no stretch a spook-level crypto
>> expert or anything.
> So how long does it take to break into WEP, WPA Personal, or WPA2
> Personal?

I don't know.  I didn't ask, and it's not somehting I care about on my
own hook.

> More time than someone who is doing 'war-driving' is willing to spend
> to break in, I'd bet.  I suspect that enough people leave their Wi-Fi
> open that it's simply not worth their while to do anything more than
> driving to the next block.

Currently?  I think you're right.  If running an open wifi becomes an
offense carrying a heavy enough penalty (in practice) to have any real
tendency to `deny "bad guys" that particular form of annonymous
Internet access' (as it was put upthread, typo and all), I expect that
to change.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org