[geeks] Unsecured Wifi connections now illegal in part of India.

John Francini francini at mac.com
Tue Jan 13 20:16:17 CST 2009

> No, if it were secure that would be the case.  If it were "secure"
> (which is the best that wifi can do without current-research
> technology), it would actually be worse, because then when the bad
> guys
> crack your WEP or whatever you use and leech your connectivity, the
> government becomes much surer it's you doing it.  I know of someone
> who's mooching off a neighbour's "secure" wifi right now - and this
> guy, while good enough with computers to be making a living at them,
> is
> by no stretch a spook-level crypto expert or anything.

So how long does it take to break into WEP, WPA Personal, or WPA2
Personal?  More time than someone who is doing 'war-driving' is
willing to spend to break in, I'd bet. I suspect that enough people
leave their Wi-Fi open that it's simply not worth their while to do
anything more than driving to the next block.