[geeks] favorite mp3 splitter/joiner/editor?

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Wed Feb 25 02:51:15 CST 2009

On 25/02/2009, at 07:11, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> There are plenty of editing suites, Audacity works fine. It's a
> Linux program,
> but there is a decent port to Windows. There may also be a BSD
> (Xwindows under
> MacOS) or a direct MacOS port too.

There is.

> AFAIK iTunes does not tag a file. It creates seperate XML tags in a
> file
> of tags for your entire database. Works great with 100 MP3's, sucks
> when you
> have 30k.

iTunes definitely does tag the files, and inserts all sorts of other
information into the file itself.  iTunes is the bane of music torrent
sites.  If you play the files you're seeding, they no longer match the
hash created with the torrent.

The xml file is your library data.

What problems have you experience with iTunes and 30k songs?  There
are 36,051 songs in my library, and I have no complaints whatsoever
about the way iTunes handles things.  I did have to get really anal
about tagging my files because iTunes is built for case-insensitive
filesystems and my library lives on a zfs RAID-Z.  Once I fixed all
that, though, it's smooth sailing.

--sambo