[geeks] New email archiving help

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Fri Feb 20 13:17:10 CST 2009

I am hopeful that someone here can help me convert what I am told are
Eudora mail files into web archives.

   A friend has all the postings from a valuable, long-lived (1993-2008)
mailing list that got shut down by the provider. We are putting it all
online, but we need to break everything into web-accessible archives by
date, by thread, etc. Our first efforts, using MHonarc, are here:
      http://ibiblio.org/wwii-buffalo
   It looks to me like the markers between messages (i.e., 74 equals
signs) got misread, as can be seen if you scroll down a few screens.

   I tried Eudora Rescue on Windows [OK, on XP Pro on Virtual Box on OS
X] and it created a zero-byte file. The nice admins at our generous
hosts Ibiblio.org tried MHonarc and it created the above linked mess.
[Not blaming them at all, honest!] Next I tried MacMHonarc 2 with no
betters results, then MHonArc-2-6.15-OSX and still got a mish-mash.

   I have a .txt file for each year. Is there a litmus test to see
whether these really are Eudora files? Is there some other converter I
should try? Mr.Bill suggested hypermail, but it's five years old at
Freshmeat: yikes. Am I using a weirdo archive format that requires an
intermediate conversion? (I tried to import them to OS X Thunderbird,
but it won't do so. I can try again for a specific error, but ISTR the
data files were grayed out from the Importer.)

   I appreciate everyone's time in reading this and anyone's time in
helping. Many of the posts to the mailing list in question are from WWII
veterans and historians who are no longer alive, and getting access to
this informaiton would be valuable.

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt