[geeks] Server Suggestions...

John Francini francini at mac.com
Wed Feb 18 20:41:34 CST 2009

Have you looked at the Dell *2900* server?  A 4 GB-ram, dual power
supply set-up with all the goodies you want (and no OS) seems to be
#1959 before VAT & shipping from dell.co.uk's small-business portal,
after an #504 discount from list.

Dual-quad core 2.66 GHz 1333MHz FSB, 2xMB cache
4 GB RAM
Integrated SAS/SATA controller -- can be set up to do RAID 0 or 1
controller
2x250 GB SATA HD
Tower chassis
Dual hot-plug power supplies
Embedded dual gigabit Ethernet NICs with TCP Offload Engine
16x DVD+-RW drive
DRAC 5 (lights-out remote management card

You can always add more drives from other sources.

Disclaimer: Yes, I work for Dell -- their recently-acquired (2008)
EqualLogic storage array business in Nashua, NH to be precise.  I do
most of the Dell server buying for our engineering group, so I'm
pretty familiar with the variety of offerings they have.  However, I'm
an engineer, and a geek, and I just want to help out.

John