[geeks] HP xw9300

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Feb 18 22:19:37 CST 2009

On Feb 18, 2009, at 11:35 , Aaron Finley wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:04:02AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>>> Has anyone used these much?  I'm wondering if a used one would
>>> prove to
>>> be superior in virtually all ways to a newish home PC, like the
>>> gateway
>>> special that Lionel posted a month or two ago for the same sort of
>>> money.
>>
>> I've got an xw4600 here on my desk at work, and it's one of the
>> nicest
>> "prefab" desktop systems I've ever used.
>
> In terms of PCs, I swear by the Lenovo D10 and I recommend you take a
> look at one priced via Lenovo CPP/EPP (codes are readily available by
> searching.) I have two and have successfully recommended an additional
> five to friends and coworkers all who are extremely pleased with them.
> The one I am using is an eight core Xeon with 24GB of RAM, 3 750GB
> disks and a GTX 260. The machine is absolutely silent. The case is
> very solid and the internal layout [1] is superior to HP machines.
> Before I bought my second D10, I bought a refurbished HP XW6600 and
> RMAed it due to the fact that I found it noisy and it had lesser build
> quality.

That looks like a nice machine, but it's a bit big.

I'd like something of similar quality but mostly as an experimental OS
machine and Windows game system.  Something that can do a lot of
things on an as-needed basis.

Ideally I would be able to put it to sleep easily and wake it up when
running either Windows or Linux/BSD.

Anyone know if the D10's little brother is any good?

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com