[geeks] opensolaris! Where do we start :)

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 06:18:13 CST 2009

Frank Van Damme wrote:
> Indeed disappointing that it only runs on Intel-compatibles. After
> some googling around, I found out Sun's working on it though...
> http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=78357&tstart=0

It wasn't seen as a major priority as OpenSolaris is for developers and
community folks to get into using Solaris orver Linux. This meant it
gets used primarily on the desktop, rather than the server, so it's not
an are Sun are interested in promoting SPARC technology anymore. It is a
shame but... hey :) It's pulp for the masses, and the masses use Intel.