[geeks] opensolaris! Where do we start :)

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 06:03:24 CST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 10:41 +0100, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>
> Just to clear things up, There are 2 Sun 'offically endorsed' versions
> of Solaris that are considered 'current'.
>
> OpenSolaris (what used to be Indiana), which  is a open-source,
> community driven verion of Solaris
>
> Solaris 10, which is free-to-download but closed source.
>
> OpenSolaris is more 'Linux-like' (a bad thing IMHO) than Solaris 10. It
> is x86/x64 only, no SPARC support (which is also crap as it's lighter
> weight and would run well on UltraSPARC II/III hardware). For SPARC you
> are stuck with the offcial 'Solaris 10' and any other community SPARC
> OSs you can find.

Indeed disappointing that it only runs on Intel-compatibles. After
some googling around, I found out Sun's working on it though...
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=78357&tstart=0

> I was taught the ins and outs by people here and a friend who is a
> fellow Sun and UNIX enthusiast. I also did a lot of Google searching and
> and fooling around in my spare time. Best way to learn is to do. :)

I've always done so. Still, pointers never hurted :-)

--
Frank Van Damme

"Anyone can sit down and write some boring artistic song. Pop music is
the hardest shit to write."

- Britney Spears.