[geeks] OT Question - workhorse laptop

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:55:09 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Sheldon T. Hall <shel at artell.net> wrote:
> Nadine Miller wrote:
>>
>> While I liked the build quality of the Fujitsu portables I've had (tablet
>> and a Transmeta)--they were very well made, the thing that nixxed me
buying
>> any more Fujitsu's is the lack of driver and BIOS updates.  You just
cannot
>> count on using their machines long term.
>
> Not to mention that the lack of driver updates makes their always-running
> "Fujitsu Driver Update" app just so much CPU-cycle-consuming crapware.
>
> On the other hand, the main thing needing a driver update, the WiFi card,
is
> an Intel unit, and the drivers are available from the Intel website.
>
> On the third hand, you really need that update, as the driver delivered
with
> my Lifebook wouldn't actually do WEP.

My issue was with the tablet's peripherals not having any updates
available past XP.  It installed/ran Win 7 RC beautifully (even Vista
ran "ok"), but SD slot, etc. did not work.  I need to try with
released Win 7 to see if the Intel graphics really work.  If so, it
may be worth it even without those peripherals--handwriting
recognition is ever so much better in Win 7.  Even Vista was miles
past XP.

Probably will hold off to see if the Mac tablet rumors are vindicated
next month.  If not, I'll pony up for the Win 7 upgrade lic.

But, I will not be spending any more cash to buy Fujitsu computers,
that's for sure.

=Nadine=