[geeks] OT Question - workhorse laptop

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Mon Dec 21 10:39:54 CST 2009

Nadine Miller wrote:

> While I liked the build quality of the Fujitsu portables I've had (tablet and
> a Transmeta)--they were very well made, the thing that nixxed me buying any
> more Fujitsu's is the lack of driver and BIOS updates.  You just cannot count
> on using their machines long term.

Not to mention that the lack of driver updates makes their
always-running "Fujitsu Driver Update" app just so much
CPU-cycle-consuming crapware.

On the other hand, the main thing needing a driver update, the WiFi
card, is an Intel unit, and the drivers are available from the Intel
website.

On the third hand, you really need that update, as the driver delivered
with my Lifebook wouldn't actually do WEP.

-Shel