[geeks] Shortwave tips

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Mon Dec 28 03:30:44 CST 2009

Quoth gsm at mendelson.com ...
> > So, I got a radio for Christmas that does AM, FM, WX, and Shortwave
> > (6000-12100 KHz) bands.
> [snip]
> It can be a lot of fun if you are patient.

Depending on what you want to hear, you might consider putting up an
external antenna.  Depending on where you are, you may have to change your
personal bio-clock so you can be awake at different hours.

I have a Sony 2010, a book-sized SW radio that was _the_ hot item 16-18
years ago.  I would expect any more-modern unit would do uch better now, but
back in the day I could hear not only some of the more obscure minor
broadcasters (Radio Burundi, for example) but also various Andes
"dedication" stations.  Even the morning drive-time DJ in Johannesburg.

I have hardly thought about SWLing in years, and I suppose a lot of it has
changed, but I expect it's still fun, and a real windo into some of the
world's less-developed areas.

-Shel