[geeks] Shortwave tips

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Dec 26 14:52:35 CST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 02:15:16PM -0500, Jeff Cole wrote:

> Thanks for the additional information. I'll check out all of the ones
> you suggested.

Here's an operating tip. The radio has ANALOG tuning, but a digital display.
In practice this means there is a fairly wide variation in tuning with the
same frequency displayed. Use this to an advantage, tune to the rough spot
using the digital display and then tune around slowly to get the best signal.

There are basically 3 types of signals on shortwave, broadcasts (most of
which are in AM), ham and utility. Ham and utility transmissions are
almost NEVER in AM and your receicver won't be able to demodulate them
properly.

You will hear somthing that sounds like "Donald Duck", but never will become
intelligable. Don't worry, just move on.

The main thing to understand about shortwave brodcasts is that they are
unpredictable. Shortwave propigation is dependent upon a lot of factors, the
time of day, number of sunspots (which are at a several hundred year low),
and so on. Stations also change their schedules for summer and winter, and
sometimes at what seems like random.

Here's a good site with schedule and broadcast information.

http://www.worldofradio.com/

I used to listen to his broadcasts a long time ago when they were exclusivley
on shortwave radio. Now I just listen to them on the Internet.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.